Thursday, July 26, 2012

You Yellowed-Bellied Marmot....and Other Cute Animals We Spotted in Yellowstone

Although we took TONS of beautiful photos of the landscape and geysers in Yellowstone National Park, my favorites are still the creatures we were lucky enough to see. We even managed to see a grizzly bear - from quite a distance.


I am impressed with how much wildlife is in Yellowstone - and how quickly the rangers appear at sightings that draw a crowd.


As an aside, this is my first post from my desktop computer. While away, I used Blogger's app and then Blogsy on my ipad - neither seem to compare with the functionality and ease of my desktop. If you have an ipad app that works well for you, please let me know. :)
This is a Yellow-Bellied Marmot - when we spotted him, we had no idea what he was. Fat squirrel? Baby porcupine? Beaver confused about where the water is? 

This was the most amazing Elk we saw in the park. What a rack! A local told us that there are a couple of bucks that must have their antlers sawed off every fall because they start charging cars and people.

We saw a few Bald Eagles in the Park.

Two baby bears sleeping WAY UP in a tree 
A close up of them - how do they manage to do it without falling out?

The top bear woke up first and did it's best to wake up the second bear. We kept wondering where Mama bear was. 
Here she comes. Mama bear came over the hill towards the babies after they both woke up.

Here's the crowd to my left - there was about the same number of people to my right. It was a party atmosphere - everyone was so excited. There was a ranger there to make sure so one got too close and to answer questions.

Here's the grizzly bera that we saw - he's a bit shy and he was pretty far away. Again, we found him because there was a crowd gathered on the side of the road - and a ranger.


No comments:

Post a Comment